The Iguazú National Park was created in 1934, with approximately 67,620 hectares/167,091 acres was declared “Natural Heritage to the Humanity” by the UNESCO in 1984 due to its scenic beauties and to the great biological diversity of the subtropical forest.
This natural sanctuary, located in the Argentina’s northeaster corner, bestowed with benevolent rains and temperatures (15ºC/59°F average in Winter and 30ºC/ 86°F average in Summer) brings about a very humid atmosphere almost windless due to the leafy vegetation canopy.
The Iguazú river has a total extension of 1320 km/ 820 miles until flowing into the Paraná River, 23 km/ 14 miles after the waterfalls.
Inside the National Park, the river widens to about 1500 meters/ 0.9 miles and turns south, next it turns north, in the shape of a wide “U” where the river mouth presents the abrupt slump of soil which conforms the cataratas: a magnificent waterfall.
All along the above mentioned prominent curve, a proliferation of reefs, islets and prolonged islands provoke the fragmentation of the river in numerous branches. When the river reaches the cliff, each branch becomes a waterfall and together comprise the great Iguazú Waterfalls.